Friday, April 1, 2011

Blog 10 ReeeMIx!


After reading Lawrence section on his favorite clip from “Read My Lips”, created by Soderberg I had to check out his work.  I wanted to check out the mixed Hitler song “Born to Be alive” that resulted in a lawsuit, though this was not his favorite mix I just wanted to check it out to see why it turned to a lawsuit.  When I got to the page on Youtube I was checking out other mixes of Hitler and I clicked on “Hitler Freestyle” it featured clip that was taken from an Adolf Hitler 1934: Closing Ceremony-Triumph of Will speech ant it is remixed with a

The video clip starts with a black screen and the title of the ceremony and as it plays you hear Hitler saying “Es spricht der Fuihrer” then the Biggie and Tupac Live Freestyle start playing.  The clip is a parody to Hitler and Biggie more than Tupac the author meshes up two very influential figures.  The author creates something different by meshing two different things together to make something new. 

tage presence in front of Hitler and his body language match the lyrics of the freestyle.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting remix, I liked that sometimes it actually looked like Hitler could have been the one doing the rapping. I think it's interesting that you started out by checking out the remix that Lessig was talking about and then ended up finding this one. That's what's cool about YouTube, you may be looking at one video, but they've got a million more that you'll probably wanna look at too. Nice connections to Lessig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really quite like this quote from you:

    Their meaning comes not from the content of what they say; it comes from the reference, which is expressible only if it is the original that gets used.

    Yes, precisely. I wonder, sometimes, how successful a remix can be when people don't get the reference. Of course it can still be successful to some degree, but it doesn't hold the some weight as when people "get it." I think rap music is like this often...when you get the little name drops or the samples, it feels like a much richer experience.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete